Florida is an excellent hub for data scientists and students seeking to advance their data science studies.
According to data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2,430 mathematical scientists and data scientists worked in the state of Florida between November 2017 and May 2020. That represented 0.288 data science jobs per 1000 job openings in the state.
Aspiring data scientists who plan to have a career in Florida can enjoy a high quality of life because of the generous pay that averages $90,850 and a relatively low cost of living.
There are also a ton of companies and institutions hiring data scientists in the state. These include Mayo Clinic, Universal Orlando, Disney, PepsiCo., and the University of Florida.
You can do several data science and analytics programs in Florida to start or better your career. These include boot camps, certifications, online and on-campus master’s degrees, and Ph.Ds. Let’s have a closer look at the most popular ones.
Data Science Master’s Programs in Florida
Florida offers more than a dozen on-campus data science Master’s programs. The state belongs to the Sunshine State Education and Research Computing Alliance (SSERCA) which allows schools to share large volumes of data across the state.
This alliance makes data science graduate programs a growing trade in Florida. It also makes Florida an excellent location for undergraduate students pursuing master’s degrees in data science with consistent access to relevant data and technology throughout the program.
Getting a master’s degree in data science allows graduates to chase a demanding and ever-evolving data science career path. The graduates combine what they’ve learned in class with programming and analytical skills to handle and process data in organizations.
General Admittance Requirements for Most Master’s in Data Science Programs in Florida
To get admission to a master’s in data science program in Florida, you must fulfill a few general requirements. These include:
- A score in the 85th percentile in the quantitative section on the GMAT or GRE
- An undergraduate degree in a related field such as computer science, statistics, business, engineering, or physics
- Letters of recommendation from up to three professional sources and an admissions interview
Pursuing a Master’s in data science program in Florida can take 18 to 24 months for full-time students and 32 months for part-time learners.
Florida Institutions Offering Data Science Graduate Programs
Florida institutions offer about 20 data science on-campus graduate programs. On-campus programs give students hands-on learning opportunities, taking full advantage of in-person instruction and accompanying resources.
Students can choose public and private institutions for their master’s degree programs. Here’re a few offerings that you might consider.
Florida Atlantic University – Master of Science in Data Science and Analytics
- Florida Atlantic University offers a Master of Science in Data Science and Analytics program that allows students to focus on facets of data science that align closely with their career goals and educational backgrounds.
- These concentrations focus on business, society, scientific inquiry, and engineering data science.
Florida State University – Master of Science in Biostatistics, Master of Science in Statistics
- Florida State University is located in Tallahassee. It offers data science graduate programs through a Master of Science in Biostatistics and a Master of Science in Statistics. These courses allow students to specialize either in mathematical statistics or applied statistics.
- Each program requires the student to complete 32 to 36 credit hours. These cut across the topics such as Distribution Theory, Statistical Inference, Application of Statistics, and Epidemiology.
- Instead of two elective courses, students can opt to write a thesis.
- The Master’s Degree in Biostatistics or Statistics gives students employment opportunities as data scientists in public health and social sciences. Completing any of these undergraduate programs also lays the foundation for completing a data science Ph.D. program.
- Florida State University has six campuses across South Florida. Thus, students can choose the most convenient location for their on-campus studies.
The University of Central Florida – Master of Science in Data Analytics
- The University of Central Florida is located in Orlando. The institution offers a data science master’s program through a Master of Science in Data Analytics.
- The course requires 30 credit hours to complete. It gives the learner the necessary skills in data extraction and algorithm development. Specifically, students are taught how to use complex data to make business decisions for organizations or companies.
- The course lets students learn Network Science, Machine Learning, and Statistical Analysis. These topics prepare them for careers in the IT and analytics sector.
Florida Polytechnic University – Master of Science in Computer Science – Data Science Track
- Florida Polytechnic University offers several training options for graduate students. The university offers graduate training in data science at the most basic level. Its Big Data Analytics program covers key topics such as optimization, cloud applications, database systems design, simulation, and data mining.
- Graduate students taking Master of Science in Computer Science have a data science track that teaches them how to harness the power of data in decision making. The master’s program offers a curriculum focused on managing and collecting data, finding solutions to business problems, and effectively communicating the results of data analysis.
- Florida Polytechnic University also offers students job placement services through transparent tracking and publishing of job opportunities.
- The institution also has robust career-development resources and an employer-connection program that gives graduates access to resources and opportunities that will land them lucrative jobs.
- The school also has several research centers, such as SunTrax. SunTrax is an extensive research facility focusing on transportation technologies, allowing students to innovate and get valuable industry partnerships.
- Another research facility is the FIPR Institute, a research facility dedicated to public health and protecting the environment.
- Students work with tech-focused employers through these industry partnerships to solve real-world problems. Previous projects in these facilities include improving efficiency using tech-powered solutions, using autonomous technology to better public transportation, and creating sustainable gardens for better public health.
The University of West Florida – Master of Science in Data Science
- The University of West Florida offers one of the most notable graduate master’s degree programs in Florida, the Master of Science in Data Science. The program offers three concentrations. These include analytics of business decisions, analytics and modeling, and health analytics.
University of Miami – Master of Science in Business Analytics
- The University of Miami is located in Coral Gables. The institution offers a data science master’s program through a Master of Science in Business Analytics.
- In this program, the learner is taught to understand big data. The course requires 30 credit hours to complete, focusing on topics such as Data Mining, Programming for Data Analytics, and Generalized Linear Models.
- After completing this master’s degree, the learner can make executive business decisions based on big data. The graduates will also be equipped with computational and statistical knowledge to land jobs in financial management companies.
Online Data Science Programs in Florida
Florida learning institutions offer online data science programs that provide students more convenience and flexibility while studying. Here’re a few examples of online data science programs you can undertake from institutions in Florida:
Jacksonville University – Master of Science in Applied Business Analytics, Master of Science in Health Informatics
- Jacksonville University is located in Jacksonville. The university offers two data science master’s programs. These include a Master of Science in Applied Business Analytics and a Master of Science in Health Informatics.
- Students taking both courses learn topics such as Data Management, Statistical Modeling and Analysis, and Healthcare Database Management.
- After completing a master’s degree in health informatics or applied business analytics, graduates can pursue careers in business management or the healthcare industry. Students require 33 credit hours to complete the course, with each program being based online.
The University of West Florida – Master of Science in Geographic Information Science Administration
- The University of West Florida is located in Pensacola. The institution offers a Master of Science in Geographic Information Science Administration. The program combines business with GIS coursework.
- Through the program, the learner becomes proficient in interpreting geographical data and displaying it on a digital map. After completing the master’s degree in GIS administration program, students can enter careers in government and environmental fields.
- The program requires 36 credit hours, covered online. It covers topics such as Computer Cartography and Geographic Information Systems.
The University of Central Florida – Online Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics
- The University of Central Florida offers an online Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics program designed for students who wish to apply data science techniques in the health sector.
- The program costs $772.69 per credit hour, with 38 credit hours covering 16 term weeks being required in total.
- This program prepares you to become a leader in healthcare informatics’s management, clinical, and business aspects. The coursework prepares you in biostatistics, healthcare database management, and system analysis, among others.
- After completing the course, you can secure a lucrative career in the healthcare industry, solving essential healthcare issues.
The University of Southern Florida – Online Master’s in Health Informatics
- University of Southern Florida Health’s Morsani College of Medicine became the nation’s first medical school to offer a fully online Master of Science in Health Informatics program. Students get the privilege of earning a data-science-based master’s degree from one of the most prestigious medical schools in the country.
- USF’s Master of Science in Health Informatics program is taught by a faculty of healthcare and IT experts with extensive field experience.
- The course is delivered through a multi-platform online learning experience featuring live chatrooms, instructor-hosted discussion boards, visual whiteboards, social networking, and more.
- This unique online platform makes learning more vibrant and interactive, which, according to the university, helped them rank as the fourth-best online Master’s in Health Informatics program in the nation by Best Colleges.
- You must complete 32 credit hours to complete the program, spread over two years in 8-week sessions.
Examples of Data Science Courses in Florida
Here’s a summary of data science courses you can get in various institutions based in Florida.
|Master of Science in Data Science and Analytics – Florida Atlantic University||Data Science||Undergraduate students in a related field and data science professionals||Ongoing||$17,297|
|Master of Science in Data Analytics – University of Central Florida||Data Analytics||Undergraduate students in a related field and data science professionals||Spring, Fall||$36,300|
|Master of Science in Biostatistics – Florida State University||Biostatistics||Undergraduate students in a related field and data science professionals||July||$39,625|
Data Science and Analytics Bootcamps in Florida
Data science and analytics boot camps in Florida are intensive education courses that introduce students to the field of data science and analytics. These boot camps focus on getting knowledge from a set of information or data through a practical approach to teaching.
Here’s a table of data science and analytics boot camps in Florida, primarily around Central Florida.
|Bootcamp Provider||Name of Program||Focus Area||Time||Cost|
|University of Central Florida||Online Data Analytics and Visualization Boot Camp||Data Analytics||24 weeks||$12,495|
|Hartmann Software Group||Hartmann Software Group’s Data Analytics Training in Deltona||Data Analytics||3 days||$1,200|
|General Assembly||General Assembly’s Data Analytics Course||Data Analytics||1 or 10 weeks||$3,950|
Data Science PhD Programs in Florida
Data Science Ph.D. programs in Florida are research-intensive. Students who receive this doctoral-level training get equipped to create new data science knowledge despite their area of specialization.
There are multiple options in the state. However, the standout Ph.D. program is from the University of Central Florida.
Many programs focus narrowly on the computer science space. However, the University of Florida’s Big Data Analytics PhD program focuses on data science applications, emphasizing statistics.
The 72-hour program is offered by the university’s Department of Statistics and is designed for researchers with a statistics background interested in using advanced data analysis techniques to make better decisions.
The program’s curriculum focuses on data mining, predictive analysis, statistical analysis, and text analytics.
Besides having a solid independent-research component, the program also offers students the opportunity to receive assistantships, fellowships, and tuition support.
Five In-Demand Analytics Jobs in Florida
Here are five data science jobs in demand in Florida:
Senior Data Scientist – There are numerous openings for senior data scientists in Florida. Most employers typically require 5+ years of experience with a proven track record of developing new algorithms or spearheading massive initiatives.
Head of Data and Analytics – There are also positions available for a head of data and analytics. The salary for this position ranges from $80,000 to $160,000 annually.
Data Analyst – Companies in Florida are looking for data analysts, with some employers offering salaries ranging from $70,000 to $90,000 annually.
Statistical Data Analyst – Positions for statistical data analysts start at a $50,000 annual salary, with a bachelor’s degree minimum requirement.
Data Engineer – Data engineering positions in Florida, especially for big corporations, have an annual base salary of $100,558.