Data scientists are among the most in-demand professionals in the technology workplace today. According to BLS data, the state of New York has seen a surge in the number of data scientists working in the state.
The data shows that about 14,760 data scientists are working in New York. These data scientists earn a median wage of $128,200 annually.
Data Science Master’s Programs in New York
New York is recognized as one of the major international financial hubs, but it has other large-scale industries that significantly contribute to the GDP and employ data scientists. These include healthcare, information technology, and manufacturing.
However, some industries in the state don’t hire data scientists under the “data scientist” umbrella for bureaucratic and financial purposes. Some data scientists have taken roles under the umbrella of Computer and Information Research Scientists.
Therefore, employers have the upper hand in selecting from a large pool of qualified applicants, with those with greater qualifications easily making the cut.
Data Science Master’s programs in New York target practicing data scientists seeking to transition in their careers or people with a related undergraduate degree seeking to start a career in data science.
Some of the well-known data science institutions in New York include:
- Columbia’s Data Science Institute (DSI)
- Rochester Center of Excellence (CoE) in Data Science
- New York University’s (NYU) Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP)
Columbia and Cornell often appear in the top 20 rankings for Graduate Computer Science Programs by U.S. News & World Report. These two institutions’ graduate computer science programs come with data science specialization.
For instance, Cornell’s Information Science department, which resides in the futuristic Bill and Melinda Gates Hall, has research interests in computational sustainability, NLP, social media, and other fields.
The institution also strongly partners with Cayuga Venture Fund, which uses Cornell’s technology to fund startups.
New York University’s Center for Data Science (CDS) was created to build a world-leading data science training and research facility. It’s purposed to arm professionals and researchers with the tools to harness Big Data’s power in processing information today.
The University of Rochester also has the Goergen Institute for Data Science, specializing in research spanning several years. The facility is responsible for several breakthroughs in healthcare and for improving our understanding of the brain.
Small institutions are also getting into big data with connections from major corporations. For instance, Marist College’s School of Computer Science and Mathematics has ties to IBM, Cisco, Goldman Sachs, and the NSF.
Admission Requirements for Data Science Master’s Programs in New York
Each school has a different set of admission requirements. However, New York data science institutions generally ask for a statement of purpose, official transcripts, and two or three letters of recommendation.
Other institutions also ask for GRE scores and a resume.
All institutions should also typically ask for a relevant bachelor’s degree, and most also specify that students must have a GPA score of 3.0 and above.
Most data science master’s programs in New York also require the applicant to have previous coursework in calculus, statistics, linear algebra, and basic computer science. Some institutions may also require evidence of work experience to determine the student’s proficiency in the required areas.
However, since there are varying options for data science master’s programs in New York, students can choose the program that fits their previous experience and what they want to learn in data science.
Previous math, computer programming, and science knowledge are necessary for all institutions.
Institutions Offering Data Science Master’s Programs in New York
Some examples of institutions offering data science master’s programs include:
New York University – Masters in Data Science
New York University is a well-known and well-regarded learning institution in New York City. It offers an on-campus Master in Data Science program to students with an established core competency in statistics, math, and computer science.
All students are obliged to complete the core courses. Afterwards, they can embark on one of seven specially-designed concentrations called “tracks.” These include:
- Data Science
- Data Science Natural Language Processing
- Data Science and Mathematics
- Data Science Biology
- Data Science Physics
- Data Science Bioinformatics
No matter the track you choose, finishing the Master’s in Data Science program from NYU elevates you in the New York and global job market.
The University of Rochester – Master’s in Data Science
If you have a bachelor’s degree in business and have programming experience, the University of Rochester offers a favorable Master’s in Data Science program.
The on-campus degree can be completed in 12 or 18 months, depending on the strength of your math and computer science knowledge and your course load tolerance.
All students must complete the core courses. These include:
- Computational Introduction to Statistics
- Data Mining
- Intermediate Statistical and Computational Methods
- Database Systems
Afterwards, the student can select another ten credits in the form of electives from any three categories. These include:
- Health and Biomedical Sciences
- Computational and Statistical Methods
- Business and Social Science
The elective choices fulfil the data science core competencies of the student. Any option is, therefore, “right,” as long as it’s relevant to your career goals.
Online Data Science Programs in New York
Major international institutions in New York offer online data science master’s programs. Most of these programs focus on professional applications and individuals who prefer distance learning over on-campus programs.
Before settling on a school, conducting adequate background research on the school’s online track record and requirements is advisable to ensure you’re flexible and confident enough to commit.
Examples of institutions offering online data science master’s programs include:
- Program: Online Master of Science in Data Science
- Estimated cost: $61,268 (Tuition)
- Duration: 18 months
- Syracuse University offers an online master of science in data science program structured for flexible distance learning. It can be completed in 18 months and requires no GRE scores for admission.
- Students are equipped with tools to enhance their programming skills and build managerial expertise to elevate them to the next point in their data science careers.
- The program combines experiential learning opportunities and collaborative online classes to deliver the coursework. You get to learn alongside students working for Microsoft, Boeing, General Electric, Goldman Sachs, IBM, and other major corporations.
- Program – Master of Science in Applied Analytics
- Estimated cost: $2,346 per credit
- Duration: 36 credits
- Columbia University offers an online option for completing its Master of Science in Applied Analytics program. The program prepares students with the leadership skills and practical data to succeed in data analytics and data science.
- The program combines the in-depth knowledge of data analytics communication, leadership, and management principles necessary to empower data-driven decision-making in organizations.
- The course takes 36 credits to complete.
CUNY Graduate School and University Center
- Program: Online Master of Science in Data Science
- Estimated cost: $855 per credit
- Duration: 30 credits
- Previously known as the master of science in data analytics, this online program helps students earn the skills and acquire the credentials needed to advance or enter the field of data science.
- The program offers hands-on programming competencies and foundational knowledge, resulting in project-based work similar to a programming boot camp. The learning objectives and demanding, hands-on courses are built around the needs of employers.
- The course takes 30 credits to complete.
Rochester Institute of Technology
- Program: Online Master of Science in Applied Statistics
- Estimated cost: $1,286 per credit hour
- Duration: 30 credits
- Rochester Institute of Technology offers on-campus and online Master of Science in Applied Statistics programs that teach students statistical analysis and how they can apply it to various industries such as marketing, government, health, insurance, and healthcare.
- The program is acclaimed for high faculty involvement with a virtual campus that promotes collaboration.
- Online students receive a reduced tuition rate.
- It takes 30 credits to complete.
Example Data Science Courses in New York
Here’s a table summary of data science programs based in New York.
|Online Master of Science in Data Science – Utica University||Data science||Data science professionals or students with a relevant bachelor’s degree||$24,900 minus fees|
|Online BBA in Business Analytics – Utica University||Data analytics||Students seeking to start a career in data science or data analytics||$48,000|
|Accounting Data Analytics and Technologies – Pace University||Data analytics||Students seeking to start a career in data science or data analytics||$41,405|
|Engineering Sciences (Data Sciences) – University at Buffalo SUNY – School of Engineering and Applied Sciences||Data science||Data science professionals or students with a relevant bachelor’s degree||$23,187|
|Data Analytics and Business Computing – New York University||Data analytics||Data science professionals or students with a relevant bachelor’s degree||$60,036|
Data Science and Analytics Bootcamps in New York
If you’re not eligible to take a data science master’s program, boot camps offer an excellent entry point to the field. They are short educational programs that quickly introduce new students to the field of data science.
Data science boot camps in New York teach students to extract information from raw data and draw conclusions from it. Thus, they cover data analytics, data science, or both.
There are several data science and analytics bootcamps you can join in New York. Generally, you want to join a boot camp with favorable teaching methods that align with your learning style.
Other important factors you should consider when choosing a data science and analytics boot camp in New York include:
- Hiring rates
- Credentialed facility
- Positive student reviews
- Strong partnerships with employers
Some great examples of New York data science and analytics bootcamps include:
|Bootcamp Provider||Name of Program||Time||Cost|
|Columbia Engineering||Online Data Analytics Bootcamp||24 weeks||$14,745|
|General Assembly||Data Science Immersive||10 weeks||$15,950|
|Byte Academy||Byte Academy Data Science Bootcamp||14 – 26 weeks||$14,950|
|NYC Data Science Academy||Data Science Bootcamp||12 – 24 weeks||$17,600|
Data Science PhD Programs in New York
Data science PhD programs provide a gateway into the world of research in data science. PhD programs in any STEM field are typically less readily available than master’s programs. Also, getting online PhD programs isn’t easy, especially within New York.
However, several institutions are offering on-campus data science PhD programs. These include:
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai – Genetics and Data Science PhD
Icahn offers a PhD program in Genetics and Data Science that gives the learner comprehensive training in genomics, genetics, and computational biology. The program provides flexible course options for the first year, allowing students to gain knowledge and skills in their scientific areas of interest.
New York University – PhD in Data Science
New York University offers a PhD in Data Science program open to individuals with previous work or research experience in data science. Relevant degrees for the program include statistics, mathematics, engineering, computer science, and other scientific disciplines that make predictions or draw inferences using data.
Five In-Demand Analytics Jobs in New York
There are numerous data science and analytics jobs available in New York. Here are a few examples:
- Data science and analytics developer – This job requires a candidate with strong skills using tools such as Spark, HDFS, Python, R, Hadoop, and PySpark. The typical pay ranges between $60,000 and $150,000 annually.
- Data scientist – A data scientist role in New York that pays between $78,000 to $208,000 annually requires a master’s or PhD in data science, statistics, machine learning, or related STEM fields.
- Director of data science – The director of data science role in New York pays up to $237,273 annually.
- Senior data scientist – A senior data scientist is responsible for developing and using algorithms and statistical predictive models, analytical approaches, and modeling techniques to evaluate scenarios and potential future outcomes. You need at least three years of relevant analytic experience.
- Associate data scientist – An associate data scientist works with other data scientists to contribute to the team’s projects and work.
Frequently Asked Questions
Data science and analytics programs in New York offer cutting-edge education in data analysis, machine learning, and statistical modeling, tailored to prepare students for the fast-paced tech industry in one of the world’s most dynamic cities.
Ideal for aspiring data professionals, career changers, and anyone looking to deepen their expertise in data science and analytics, these programs cater to a range of learners, from beginners to advanced practitioners.
Yes, many institutions in New York offer online versions of their Data Science and Analytics programs, providing flexibility for those balancing other commitments.
Programs in New York frequently update their curricula and involve industry professionals as instructors, ensuring the content remains relevant to current industry demands.
These programs often provide networking opportunities through events, alumni networks, and partnerships with local businesses and tech companies, enhancing career prospects upon completion.