Pennsylvania is home to Ivy League institutions and a host of employers seeking data scientists to fill positions in their organizations and businesses. According to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, about 4.14 percent of data scientists in the US work in the Keystone State.
The average salary for data scientists working in Pennsylvania is estimated at $92,760.
Pennsylvania is also known for commanding a higher cost of living. Major industries in the state include manufacturing, natural gas, and agribusiness. UPS, Walmart, Target, and P.N.C. Bank rank among the top 50 largest employers in the state.
Let’s look at the data science and analytics programs you can enroll in Pennsylvania to kickstart or grow your career, ranging from online and on-campus master’s degrees to bootcamps and Ph.Ds.
Data Science Master’s Programs in Pennsylvania
A master’s degree in data science in Pennsylvania improves your chances of benefiting from the state’s high-end occupational employment of Computer and Information Research Scientists and Data Scientists.
The growth of the tech sector in Pennsylvania is respectable, with the state ranking 9th in tech innovation out of 50 states. Almost every industry in Pennsylvania uses tech and analytics, indicating a strong need for data scientists in the region.
Getting an analytics master’s degree gives you an edge because of the few highly qualified data scientists in the state. Most employers lean toward highly qualified talent who possess core data science competencies.
You also get to negotiate a better salary after completing a data science master’s program in Pennsylvania. The state’s cost of living is just slightly above the national average. However, living costs are somewhat higher in the state’s major cities.
Perhaps the biggest win for a data scientist working in the state is the significantly lower cost of housing. Therefore, you can still live comfortably as a student and employee in the Keystone State.
There are several on-campus data science and data science-oriented graduate programs in Pennsylvania. Examples include:
Carnegie Mellon University – Master’s Degree in Computational Data Science
This program concentrates on the application of scientific methods to large data systems. It focuses on data collection, scientific experimental design, problem-solving, data modeling and analysis, and human-computer interaction.
The program uses a core Computer Science curriculum to address these topics: machine learning, software engineering, large-scale distributed systems, statistics, and storage systems. Students learn how to create large-scale data science systems for organizations and companies.
The complete program covers 144 units with a capstone project and internship. You need a 3.0 GPA, GRE scores, Statement of Purpose, TOEFL scores for non-native English speakers, three letters of recommendation, and your most recent resume to apply.
Carnegie Mellon University Heinz College – M.I.S.M. in Business Intelligence and Data Analytics
Carnegie Mellon University Heinz College offers Business Intelligence and Data Analytics within its M.I.S.M. program. The course goes deeper into the field of analytics, focusing on using data analytics to inform decision-making in companies and organizations.
The comprehensive curriculum features structured and unstructured data analytics, advanced analytics coursework in machine learning, and predictive modeling. The course takes 16 months, covering three semesters.
Drexel University LeBow College of Business – Master of Science in Business Analytics
Drexel University offers a Master of Science in Business Analytics program that prepares students to use data analytics insights to drive business decision-making. The program includes multifaceted study areas such as data management, statistics, and data modeling.
Students in this program learn techniques such as natural language processing, machine learning, and deep learning, which they use to better understand analytics approaches and how they affect decision-making in businesses.
Students also collaborate and interact with industry leaders during their program through the college’s Center for Business Analytics. Some partner companies include Southwest Airlines, Twitter, Comcast, Pfizer, and Google.
Drexel University College of Computing and Informatics – Master of Science in Data Science
Drexel University College of Computing and Informatics offers a Master of Science in Data Science program that concentrates on data visualization, mining and analytics, and management theory.
The program equips students with the perspective, skills, and expertise to succeed in the modern technology-driven world. It takes 45 credits to complete.
Once done with the program, the student should be able to collect, manage, and analyze massive, fast-growing, “noisy” data sets within complex systems. They should also draw insight, discoveries, and value from them that will serve various domains ranging from healthcare to finance and business operations.
Online Data Science Programs in Pennsylvania
There are several online data science programs you can enroll in Pennsylvania. Online data science master’s programs in Pennsylvania cover Data Mining, Applied Statistics, and Foundations of Predictive Analysis.
Most courses also offer electives in Analytics Programming in Python, Data Visualization, and Data Collection and Cleaning. All these courses are crucial in becoming a highly qualified and well-rounded data scientist.
Like most on-campus data science master’s programs in Pennsylvania, most institutions require applicants to have an undergraduate degree in STEM or business. However, some institutions admit students who’ve completed advanced quantitative coursework regardless of their undergraduate degree.
Examples of online data science programs in Pennsylvania include:
Cabrini University – Master of Science in Data Science Online
- Duration: 24 months or 36 credits
- Cabrini University offers a Master of Science in Data Science Online program aimed at students seeking to advance their careers within the data-driven world.
- The program is offered entirely online and is designed to give students essential skills for a career as a Data Mining Analyst, Business Intelligence Analyst, Database Administrator, and I.T. Project Manager.
- The timetable for the coursework is very flexible, and designed to help students navigate school and work. Students can also build a network of support from professors and peers.
- The program covers four distinct areas. These include:
- Software and programming
- Business and management
- Data visualization
- Data warehousing
- The program covers four distinct areas. These include:
Carnegie Mellon University – Online Master of Science in Business Analytics
- Duration: 9 or 20 months
- Carnegie Mellon University also offers online data science master’s programs. One of them is the Online Master of Science in Business Analytics. This program is provided by the university’s Tepper School of Business.
- The Online Master of Science in Business Analytics aims to:
- Provide students with business knowledge, excellent analytical skills, and creative problem-solving expertise that they can use to effectively and efficiently transform data and use it to inform business decision-making.
- Allow for the learner’s career advancement into senior positions at companies invested in data analytics.
- Individuals with technical backgrounds interested in deepening their analytical skills and moving into senior positions as business analysts are well-suited for this program.
Carnegie Mellon University – Master of Science in Information Technology (M.S.I.T.)
- Estimated cost: $565 per credit
- Carnegie Mellon University also offers a Master of Science in Information Technology online program from Heinz College. The program uses a part-time delivery model that gives the learner flexibility and access to the same world-class faculty as on-campus students.
- Through this program, students gain technological expertise and learn key communication strategies and data-driven management strategies. Therefore, learners can effectively and efficiently tackle I.T. challenges and lead their organizations into a digital, data-driven transformation.
Drexel University – Online Master of Science in Information Systems
- Duration: 45 to 46 credits
- Estimated cost: $1,396 per credit
- Drexel University offers an Online Master of Science in Information Systems program that trains students with the techniques and latest technologies to transform their organization’s digital platforms. The curriculum teaches students to apply new technology to solve pressing computer and information systems problems.
- Graduates from the program get roles in project management, information system analysis and design, human interface design, web application software development, and information technology management.
- You can also assume the role of a Data Science/Analytics manager.
Pennsylvania State University – Master of Professional Studies in Data Analytics
- Duration: 30 credits
- Estimated cost: $1,056 per credit
- Pennsylvania State University offers a Master of Professional Studies in Data Analytics online program designed to cultivate the knowledge and practical skills needed to collect, classify, analyze, and model data at large scales across various domains.
- Students are taught how to hone these skills using machine learning, statistics, software engineering, and computer science. The student can then design, implement, and apply data management techniques to help their organizations make more informed decisions.
Example Data Science Courses in Pennsylvania
Here’s a summary of data science courses available in Pennsylvania.
|Master of Science Data Analytics – La Salle University||Data Analytics||Analytics professionals or students with a relevant degree||Tuition – $985 per credit hour|
|Master of Science in Business Analytics – Lehigh University||Data Analytics||Analytics professionals or students with a relevant degree||Tuition – $52,870|
|Master of Professional Studies in Data Analytics – Pennsylvania State University||Data Analytics||Analytics professionals or students with a relevant degree||$12,552 per semester|
|Online Master of Science in Business Intelligence & Analytics – Saint Joseph’s University||Data Analytics||Analytics professionals or students with a relevant degree||$1,136 per credit (30 credits required)|
|Master of Science in Engineering (M.S.E.) in Data Science – University of Pennsylvania||Data Science||Data science professionals or students with a relevant degree||$39,191|
Data Science and Analytics Bootcamps in Pennsylvania
You don’t have to have a master’s degree in data science to start a data science and analytics career in Pennsylvania. Data science bootcamps offer a fast and affordable option to enter the state’s data science and analytics fields.
Data science and analytics bootcamps are quickfire programs that run for shorter periods than master’s programs. Most bootcamps focus solely on data science, that is, how information is drawn from raw data, or data analytics, which is how insights are drawn from data.
However, some bootcamps combine data science and data analytics.
Examples of data science and analytics bootcamps in Pennsylvania include:
|Bootcamp Provider||Name of Program||Time||Cost|
|Carnegie Mellon University||Data Science for Social Good Summer Fellowship||12 weeks||Available during application|
|Penn Data Science Bootcamp||Penn Data Science Bootcamp||24 weeks||$13,495|
Data Science PhD Programs in Pennsylvania
You can study Ph.D. programs in data science and analytics at several institutions in Pennsylvania. Ph.D. programs help you get into the research field of data science and analytics.
Here are a few examples of data science Ph.D. programs available in Pennsylvania.
Harrisburg University – Doctor of Philosophy in Information Systems Engineering & Management
- Harrisburg University offers a Doctor of Philosophy in Information Systems Engineering & Management program that enables students to make original contributions in the data science field.
- The program aims to create information system thinkers and leaders who can add to the academic, private, and public body of knowledge.
- The doctoral program takes two phases. The initial learning phase includes coursework, research, seminars, and fieldwork which contribute to the student’s knowledge in the program.
- The second research phase focuses on original research work from the students that culminates in their final dissertation defense.
Temple University – Ph.D. Management Information Systems
- Temple University offers a PhD Management Information Systems program through the Ph.D. in Business Administration program. This concentration course prepares the student for advanced scholarship and research.
- The top goal of the program is to prepare faculty members for successful academic careers. The degree has a time limit of seven years to complete.
Five In-Demand Analytics Jobs in Pennsylvania
There are several openings for data science and analytics jobs in Pennsylvania. These include:
Several big corporations are actively looking for data scientists to fill roles in the organizations. Most organizations require individuals with outstanding analytical abilities, excellent communication skills, and comfortable working across teams and systems. The average basic salary for this role in Pennsylvania is $105,891.
Manager, Data and Financial Analytics
Companies in Pennsylvania are also actively looking for data and financial analytics managers who have a great enthusiasm for analytics and a desire to enhance the use of analytic tools, methods, and techniques in the organization.
Some of these roles only require a Bachelor’s degree. The typical pay for this role in Pennsylvania ranges between $13.09 to $87.94 an hour.
Director of Marketing Analytics
Companies are also actively looking for directors of marketing analytics with at least a relevant Bachelor’s degree. You must also understand marketing concepts such as email marketing and the appropriate metrics, rules, and guidelines. Based on local data in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, someone in this role earns between $87,616 and $118,201 annually.
Intern to Entry-Level Data Analytics
Individuals who’ve only gone through bootcamps and certifications can benefit from intern to entry-level data analytics roles offered by big companies such as Boeing. Companies in East Pittsburgh pay about $10 an hour for this role.
Data Analytics Consultant
Data Analysts in Pennsylvania can also practice as consultants for data-driven companies and organizations within the state, such as Deloitte, earning an average salary ranging from $45,102 to $106,184.
Frequently Asked Questions
Earning a Master’s Degree in Data Science in Pennsylvania can significantly enhance your career prospects. The state is recognized for its strong tech sector, ranking 12th in tech innovation nationwide. This degree offers an advantage in securing high-end occupational roles in this field.
Pennsylvania provides a range of data science courses, including a Master of Science in Data Analytics, Business Analytics, and specialized engineering programs in data science, catering to both professionals and students
Pennsylvania offers a variety of on-campus and online master’s programs, as well as specialized bootcamps and PhD programs. These programs cover diverse aspects of data science, from computational methods to predictive analysis
Notable programs include Carnegie Mellon University’s Master’s Degree in Computational Data Science, which focuses on scientific methods applied to large data systems and core computer science topics
There are various in-demand roles, including Data Scientist, Manager of Data and Financial Analytics, Director of Marketing Analytics, and positions for those with bootcamp or certification backgrounds. Opportunities exist in diverse sectors across the state