How to Get a Job in Sports Media with Francisco Gonalez-Cos
Francisco is a Mexican globe-trotting sports enthusiast who has lived in 6 different cities, across 3 different countries always looking to learn and experience new places, cultures, and ideologies.
While he now works at B/R and focus on the power that Social Media has on growing a fanbase, most of his career has been influenced one way or another by data and the role it has on storytelling. He lived most of my life in Mexico City and moved for college to the US where he dove into politics and international relations, opening the doors to the labor market and trying to find my own space within that world.
Realizing it wasn’t his passion he tried his hand at a Marketing Internship for NYCFC and absolutely loved it, pushing him to move once again to Barcelona to learn everything he could about sports.
Coming back to Mexico and the US he found he could make a difference in leveraging and interpreting data to craft stories and influence digital strategy.
Ultimately he arrived at B/R after a long road of looking for opportunities to join his dream industry.
Connect with Francisco to learn more.
Listen to the Podcast Here, or Find it Wherever You Get Your Podcasts:
Here are Five Things We Cover:
- Don’t be afraid to pivot: Francisco’s decision to leave his current field and pursue his passion for sports demonstrates the importance of following your heart and taking risks.
- American sports’ influence: The grandeur and explosiveness of American sports have captured the attention of industries worldwide, challenging traditional notions of sports entertainment.
- Hard work trumps talent: Francisco emphasizes the need for consistent hard work to reach the highest level of success, highlighting that talent alone is not enough.
- Content analysis for success: Francisco’s role in content analysis teaches us the significance of formatting and presenting content in a way that conveys the intended message and resonates with the audience.
- Travel and exposure broaden perspectives: Francisco’s experiences living in different countries have shaped his well-rounded perspective and willingness to embrace new ideas, showing the impact of travel on personal and professional growth.
Here are Three Actionable Takeaways From This Episode
- Pursue Your Passion, Even If It Means Pivoting:
Francisco’s story teaches us the importance of being open to change and pursuing our passions. Despite having a career in a different field, he took a leap of faith and interned at the New York City Football Club, where he discovered his love for the sports industry. The actionable advice here is to explore your interests, even if it means taking a detour from your current career path. You never know where your true passion lies until you make that leap.
- Hard Work Trumps Talent:
Francisco emphasizes that talent alone is not enough to reach the highest level of success. Through examples like Cristiano Ronaldo, he highlights the power of consistent hard work and daily effort. The actionable advice here is to develop a strong work ethic, be disciplined, and put in the necessary effort to hone your skills. Hard work can make all the difference in achieving your goals.
- Present Content Effectively:
Francisco’s role involves analyzing and optimizing content for maximum impact. He stresses the importance of presenting content in a way that aligns with its objectives. The actionable advice here is to thoroughly analyze different types of content, captions, and formats, ensuring they effectively convey the intended message. By incorporating a balance of positive and negative aspects and aligning them with the objective, you can bring new perspectives and insights to your audience.